Recreation Services Adopt-A-Park/Road program partners your favorite parks with community volunteers to assist in the general care, litter removal and beautification of our parks.
Who Can Adopt-a-Park
Anyone interested in improving Killeen’s parks and contributing to the quality of life in Killeen!
What Can Be Adopted
Entire parks or sections of parks and trails can be adopted at the discretion of Recreation Services. Sections of parks may include but are not limited to: flower beds, trails, playgrounds, etc.
What Can Be Done in Adopted Areas
Groups who adopt sections of parks can help in the following ways:
- Picking up trash
- Raking playground surfaces
- Reporting any hazards to park staff
- Pulling weeds
- Sweeping trails and pathways
- Reporting graffiti or vandalism to park staff
- Planting (under supervision of park staff only)
How to Adopt a Park
Contact our Recreation Coordinator at 254-501-8873 to find parks available for adoption.
Review safety rules and guidelines with your group prior to beginning any cleanup project. These rules are not all inclusive; please feel free to add any additional rules that will help keep your group safe while in the park.
- Children 15 years of age or younger, must be supervised at all times.
- Always wear gloves and appropriate safety gear.
- Do not pick up trash near the street, in the parking lot or near the curb.
- Do not pick up any sharp objects, such as broken glass or needles.
- Do not run in front of vehicles entering the park or park staff working in the park.
- Wash hands thoroughly after project is complete.
- Report any hazards or vandalism to park staff immediately at 254-501-8889.
- Lift all objects with your legs, not your back.
- Wear sun block and/or a hat.
- Drink plenty of water and take frequent breaks.
- Work in partners whenever possible.
- Wear appropriate clothes and shoes depending on the project and the temperature.
- Report any suspicious behavior to the Police.
- Seal all trash bags tightly prior to placing them next to designated trash receptacle for pick-up.
- Let park staff members know when you have a scheduled project day so they can let you know of any activities or construction projects that may be taking place in the park that day.
- Do not work at night or during potentially hazardous weather conditions.
- Do not block pathways or trails.
- Do not use power equipment or chemicals when weeding in the parks.