On November 9, 2010, the City of Killeen adopted the Killeen Comprehensive Plan (Comp Plan) and Downtown Plan. The Comp Plan establishes guidelines for the future growth of Killeen by articulating a vision for what Killeen wants to be in the future. Through its goals and objectives, the plan sets in place a framework that will assist the city in future land use and development decisions in a way that will encourage quality development within the city. The comprehensive plan helps the city answer questions like:
- How do we want our community to develop?
- What type of growth do we want?
- What do we want to look like in 10 to 20 years?
- What improvements or enhancements are needed?
- What are our highest priorities as a community?
Development of the Killeen Comprehensive Plan took place over an 18 month period that began in June 2009. In addition to meetings with representatives from various community organizations, the Downtown Partnership Committee, the Transportation Committee, and the Planning and Zoning Commission, the city hosted the following public input sessions: