Short Term Rentals


Beginning October 1, 2023, owners of Short-Term Rentals (STRs) are required to obtain a permit annually (City of Killeen Code of Ordinances, Sec. 31-953). This law applies to all properties (including rooms and guest houses) rented for less than 30 consecutive days.

We hope to have the registration process active in August 2023.

If you own or manage a Short-Term Rental and would like to receive updates on our timeline and processes, please complete this form.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Are Short-Term Rentals required to collect and remit Hotel Occupancy Tax?
     Yes, the owner of a Short-Term Rental shall collect the Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) from their guests for the City, County, and State. Platforms like Airbnb and Vrbo generally remit the state portion of HOT on behalf of owners. It is the owner’s responsibility to remit the City and County portion themself.
  • Where do I pay my Hotel Occupancy Tax?
    The City of Killeen is currently in an RFP process to locate a vendor to collect Hotel Occupancy Taxes. Once the process has completed, we will update this page with payment details.
  • Is my Short-Term Rental Permit transferrable?
    No, the Short-Term Rental Operating License is non-transferable.
  • What if I do not get a permit for my Short-Term Rental?
    Failure to obtain the required permit is a violation of the City of Killeen Code of Ordinances (operating without a license) and may result in enforcement action, including citations and fines.
  • Who should I call if tenants of Short-Term Rental in my area are causing problems?
    The City of Killeen notifies neighbors of Short-Term Rentals when they receive a STR Permit. In this notification, we will include contact information for the owners. We encourage you to contact owners directly. If the issue relates to noise ordinance violations or criminal activity, we encourage you to contact Killeen Police non-emergency line at (254) 501-8830 or 911 if the situation is an emergency. If the issue relates to code enforcement issues, contact Code Enforcement at (254) 501-7608.