Youth Advisory Commission
The City of Killeen Youth Advisory Commission (YAC) was founded in 1993 by Mayor Raul Villaronga to give a voice to the youth of Killeen. YAC was created to serve as a liaison to the Killeen City Council. It exists to assist in minimizing community problems relating to youth, while encouraging positive growth and development. YAC participates in social, cultural, and recreational activities that are meant to empower them in a drug and alcohol-free environment. YAC is open for students from 8th to 12th grade.
Within YAC there are other sub-committees that incorporate younger students such as Junior YAC (JYAC). JYAC is a sub-committee within YAC for students in grades 4th to 7th. JYAC serve as a mentoring program for the younger generation and supports YAC with its mission to serve as youth representative in our community.
To provide the youth of our community opportunities through volunteerism and service, by taking initiatives that are directed toward effective change.
YAC membership is composed of Killeen youth grades 4th through 12th in the Killeen Independent School District (KISD), Home School, and/or Killeen Residents. Within YAC there are different levels of membership:
- Youngest members, grades 4th to 7th. The JYAC’s Chairs are Commissioners who mentor the JYAC and help them prepare for their future with within YAC.
- YAC Resource Member
- Members range from 8th to 12th grade. The resource members support and help YAC Commissioners to achieve YAC’s goals and uphold the YAC mission.
- YAC Commissioners
- Members range from 8th to 12th grade and are elected by City Council to represent the City of Killeen youth. Commissioners are the only members allowed to vote and their main purpose is to represent resource members, JYAC members and the youth of Killeen. YAC has 37 commissioners positions.
- YAC Commissioners interviews are held in September.
- YAC Officers
- Members range from 8th to 12th grade and are elected by Commissioners to hold one of the 4 Officers positions. The Officers positions are: Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary & Treasurer.
Why join YAC or Junior YAC?
- Opportunities to make life-long friendships
- Represent YAC and the City of Killeen at various events
- Develop and enhance leadership skills
- Make a difference in your community
- Park Ambassador Initiative
Some of our yearly projects/events
- Parks and Road Clean-Ups
- Graffiti Removals
- Family Volunteer Day
- Waterways Clean-Up
- Global Youth Services Day (GYSD)
- Presidential Volunteer Service Award Ceremony (PVSA)
- Off-The Record
- Leaders in Training (L.I.T.)
- Youth Conference
In addition, YAC assist/support with city events such as:
- Fall Festival
- Love Your Park Day
- Back 2 School Splash Bash
- Recycling events